Home Made Dog Biscuits

Here's my basic recipe~~~

3/4 cup hot water
1/3 cup margarine
1/2 cup powdered milk
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
3 cups whole wheat flour (or a combo of wheat & rye flour)

In large bowl pour hot water over the margarine. Stir in powdered milk, salt, and egg. Add flour, 1/2 cup at a time. Knead for a few minutes to form stiff dough. Pat or roll to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut into bone shapes. Bake at 325 degrees for 50 minutes. Cool. They will dry out quite hard. Makes about 1 1/4 pounds of biscuits. Costs around 30 cents per pound.

The variations I use is instead of water, I will use a good, tasty all-natural beef stock then add a couple of handfuls of shredded mild cheddar cheese. When these bake, YOUR mouth will water, honestly!!!

Another variation is to use all-natural chicken stock instead of the water, and another is to use 1/3 cup peanut butter (either chunky or creamy) instead of the margarine.

I've also found that this recipe is *very* humidity sensitive. The amount of flour here is just a guide. Be prepared to use more.

If you don't want to bother with making fancy shapes, just roll out and quickly cut with a pizza cutter into the size you want. When I'm pressed for time and my guys *need* snacks, this is what I do, and the cookie cutters stay in the drawer LOL


No comments: