Lemon Grilled Chicken

This has been a favorite of mine since childhood. My mother, the ORIGINAL health nut, got the recipe out of Myra Waldo's "Cooking For Your Heart and Health." I've tweaked the recipe only by doubling the oil and lemon juice so I could marinate it in a Ziploc bag and there'd be enough marinade to go around. In the original recipe, it was merely brushed on the chicken parts and let to stand.

1/4 cup lemon juice (reconstituted is fine)
1/4 cup corn oil (I use olive oil, the original recipe calls for corn oil)
1 tsp sea salt or kosher salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 small whole chicken, cut into 8 pcs

Mix all ingredients except chicken in a Ziploc bag. Add chicken parts and turn bag a couple of times. Marinate for 1-2 hrs in fridge.

Preheat broiler. Broil, skin side down, for about 15-20 min (broil on low or if your stove only has high setting, broil about 4" from heat source). Turn chicken skin side up and broil for another 15 minutes, or until juices run clear and internal temp at thickest point is 165*F.

I've done this on the gas BBQ and it comes out great, but honestly, it tastes better, at least to me, if it's done in the broiler. The original recipe calls for the broiler and maybe my preference for that way of cooking comes a bit from nostalgia of Mom cooking it.

2 comments:

Sylvia said...

Thanks for the recipe - I am definately going to try it.

judy said...

You won't be sorry--for the life of me, I couldn't remember the recipe from childhood...I remembered oil and lemon juice, but nothing more. I actually ended up buying the book from a used bookseller just for that recipe, and there's many others my mom used to make out of there. I can tell you, I'm no tomato soup nut, but the one that's in that book is the only one I'll eat--it's great. Low fat/low cal too. It's "cream" of tomato but it uses nonfat dry milk. I'll post it shortly. Plus, that soup goes great with grilled cheese :)