My Own Version of Hamburger Helper

OK, I have to admit, Hamburger Helper is one of my very guilty and secret (until now) pleasures. I forget why I had them on hand, but I spied a bag of medium egg noodles in my cupboard and decided it was high time I used them. My neighbor was coming over for our usual "Friday Night Widows/Divorced Womens/Orphans dinner," and she's pretty game about what to eat (always figuring if it came out truly awful we could just get dinner from the Chinese takeaway LOL). Anyway, this was surprisingly GOOD.

1 lb ground beef
2 cups dry egg noodles
1 cup or so sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
3 cups water
1 pkg brown gravy mix (maybe 2 pkgs if there's quite a bit of juice)

Brown ground beef, onion, garlic and mushrooms in a 5 qt saute pan. Drain excess fat.

Add the noodles and the water; bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 20 min, or until noodles are tender. Mix the gravy packets with a bit of water to make a paste. Add to ground beef/noodle mixture, stirring constantly until thick. Cook for 1 minute. Let stand 10 min and serve.

You could top with some nice sharp shredded cheddar.

No comments: