Green Pan--Again!

I've not paid attention to this blog as my sister has been visiting from UK for the past 3 weeks. She left for home yesterday, so on with the blog!!!

Since I was telling her about the presentations on HSN and how hilarious the Green Pan shows were between "motor-mouth" Joy Mangano and Chef Todd English, she just had to watch when a presentation was done during her stay.

They ran out of whatever the Today's Special was, so they reduced the Green Pan 11-inch steamer from $45 to $30. Fantastic buy and as my sister was looking for a steamer AND new cookware since she replaced and existing cooktop with a glass induction one (old pans wouldn't work on it), I quickly ordered the steamer and not a minute too soon as that sold out not 5 minutes after I hit "Process Order."

Turns out, she didn't want that style--oh well, but I could use one. I wasn't worried about the negative reviews on the non-stick properties as I would basically only use water in the frying pan part, so that was moot. However, I decided to put this pan and Thermalon through it's paces so I will be using this as a frying pan for the next 30 days to see if it loses any non-stick properties. I've used for a week so far and have fried many things; today it was my scrambled eggs with Velveeta (which always sticks somewhat to any pan), and lo and behold, it stuck no where!!! So far, it is just like the "skating rink" that Joy keeps babbling on about. Will it stay that way under continued use? Time will tell, so check back.

FYI, I don't run through a dishwasher (I have one, but it's only me so why waste the energy running a dishwasher???) and handwash the pan always. I do re-season each time with a touch of oil--maybe a teaspoon full.

Maybe this will help anyone considering these pans, but buried deep down in the instructions that came with the pan, it tells you to season by heating for 30 seconds on low heat then adding 1 tbs oil and coating the pan. Maybe folks were seasoning incorrectly. Who knows???

Another bit of useful information came from my sister regarding glass induction cooktops--you cannot use just any cookware. To test if yours is safe to use if you are considering purchasing one, if a magnet is attracted to the base of a pot or pan, it is safe. If the magnet does not stick, the pan cannot be used.

No comments: